- Category: Fast Fabulous Feasts
- Published on Wednesday, 20 April 2016 06:00
- Hits: 493
Sausage, Peppers, and Mushrooms Low-Carb Cheesy Bake is easy and delicious for a quick dinner and this tasty casserole is gluten-free if you pick the right sausage!
I first made this Sausage, Peppers, and Mushrooms Low-Carb Cheesy Bake last year during January when lots of people are wanting more carb-conscious meals. It took a couple of tries to get the combination of ingredients and photos I was satisfied with, and I didn't get the keeper version until February.
But this recipe is so easy, so quick, and so delicious that it's actually perfect for a low carb dinner any time of year. And even if you're not watching carbs, if you like Italian sausage and peppers I bet you'll love this for an easy meal.
I liked this best with a whole pound of brown Cremini mushrooms. Saute mushrooms in a little olive oil and layer then in the bottom of the baking dish. Then saute red and green pepper strips and add them over the mushrooms. Season the peppers and mushrooms with spices and black pepper.
While you're cooking the mushrooms and peppers, brown the turkey Italian sausage in a different pan. When sausage is brown, cut into half-slices and brown again on the cut sides. Layer the sausage in the baking dish, and sprinkle with a generous amount of grated Mozzarella.
Bake at 375F/190C about 25 minutes, or until the dish is bubbling hot and the cheese is melted and nicely browned. Serve hot and enjoy!
Sausage, Peppers, and Mushrooms Low-Carb Cheesy Bake
(Makes about 6 servings, depending on what else you serve it with; recipe created by Kalyn.)
- 2 T olive oil, divided (or less depending on your pan)
- 16 oz. brown Cremini mushrooms, washed and cut in thick slices
- 5 links (19.5 oz) hot or mild turkey Italian sausage (I used Jenni-O Hot Italian Turkey Sausage which is low in fat and gluten-free.)
- 2 red bell peppers, cut into thick strips
- 2 green bell peppers, cut into thick strips
- 1/2 tsp. Italian herb blend
- 1/2 tsp. Spike Seasoning (or use any all-purpose seasoning blend if you don't have Spike.)
- fresh-ground black pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 cups grated Mozzarella (more or less as desired)
- Preheat oven to 375F/190C. Spray a baking dish with non-stick spray or olive oil. Wash mushrooms and cut into thick slices. Trim away stem and seeds of peppers and cut into thick strips.
- Heat about 2 tsp. olive oil in a large non-stick pan and start to saute the sausage over medium-high heat, turning occasionally to brown on all sides. (If you're using pre-cooked sausage you can skip this step and just cut sausage before you brown it.) While sausage cooks, heat about 2 tsp. olive oil in a separate pan and saute mushrooms over medium-high heat until they release their liquid, liquid is evaporated, and mushrooms are lightly browned. Transfer mushrooms to the bottom of the baking dish.
- Heat about 2 tsp. more olive oil in the same pan you cooked the mushrooms in and saute peppers over medium high heat just until they're starting to soften, about 4 minutes. (They will cook more in the oven, so don't overcook if you prefer them slightly crisp in the finished dish.) Layer the peppers over the mushrooms in the baking dish. Season the peppers and mushrooms with spices and black pepper.
- When the sausage is lightly browned on all sides, remove to a cutting board and let cool enough to slice. Then cut sausage in half lengthwise, cut into thick half-slices, reheat the pan, and brown the sausage again on the cut sides. Layer the browned sausage over the mushrooms and peppers and sprinkle with desired amount of grated mozzarella.
- Bake about 25 minutes, or until all ingredients are sizzling hot and the cheese is melted and nicely browned. Serve hot. Leftovers of this can be kept in the fridge for a day or two and reheated in a toaster oven or in the microwave.